Written by Sydney Colligan, UAB Dietitic Intern
Fall season has arrived, so you know what that means: all things pumpkin! Often thought of as a vegetable, pumpkin is actually a fruit that is full of nutrients and health benefits. Because of pumpkin’s rich antioxidant content, it can also reduce inflammation – especially important for individuals with disabilities.
Whether it’s fresh or canned, pumpkin is an amazing addition to your diet. Try the recipe below to reap all the health benefits pumpkin has to offer!
Fall in a Bowl Smoothie
- ¼ cup pumpkin purée, frozen
- ¼ cup vanilla Greek yogurt, frozen
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 banana, frozen
- ½ cup almond milk, more as needed
- Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend until a creamy consistency forms.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy!
Want even more pumpkin? Try our savory and delicious pumpkin ravioli with sage brown butter sauce.