Are you looking for a quick, easy way to add healthy flavor to your diet? Pesto is a delicious, versatile sauce that tastes great with everything from pasta and vegetables to salmon and chicken.
Pesto is traditionally made with basil and pine nuts, but don’t worry – there are many, many different delicious variations. Start out with our “Whatever Greens you have Pesto” recipe (written below), and then check out our delicious NutriLab video featuring whole grain pesto pasta with veggies.
“Whatever Greens you have Pesto”
- 2 cups of your favorite greens (spinach, arugula or kale)
- ½ lemon (or 1 tablespoon of lemon juice)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon milk (or milk alternative like almond milk)
Put everything in a blender or food processor. Mix until well blended. Add salt and pepper if you would like – but otherwise, use this green pesto as a dip for your favorite vegetables, a spread on a sandwich or a sauce for whole grain pasta!
Eat More Veggies with this Fresh Pesto Pasta Recipe
- 2 cups whole grain pasta
- ¼ cup sliced carrots
- ¼ cup broccoli
- 2 oz. spinach
- ¼ cup sweet onion
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ cup sliced beets
- 1 cup basil
- ½ cup spinach
- ¼-½ cup oil
- 1 Tablespoon almonds
- ¼ lemon juiced
- 1-2 Tablespoons shredded parmesan
1. Cook pasta according to package directions.
2. Slice vegetables ¼ in. thick, place in bowl and set aside.
3. To make the pesto, put basil, spinach, almonds, lemon juice and parmesan in blender.
4. Blend while slowly pouring in oil. Blend until smooth.
5. Place pan on medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil. Once hot, carefully add vegetables and stir. Continue cooking for 5-7 min.
6. Turn heat off and season with salt and pepper. Add 2 tablespoons of pesto into pan and toss to coat vegetables.
7. To plate, swirl pasta onto center of plate. Place vegetables on and around pasta. Garnish with parsley or parmesan (optional).